SmartConnect™: Seeing your energy differently
We've got great news! We're currently rolling out smart meters to our electricity customers, meaning no more estimated bills and more detailed information so you can take greater control over how much energy you use and when you use it.1
See what happens during a typical SmartConnect meter installation:
What a new SmartConnect™ meter means for you:
- You'll be billed using an actual read every month, so you can say goodbye to estimated bills.1
- A meter reader no longer needs to visit your property to read your meter.1
- You can track your electricity use by the month, day and hour in Online Services. This is really handy because the more you know about how much energy you use and when you use it, the easier it is to manage your energy spend.
An example of the hourly energy use graph:
- When you phone to tell us you're moving house, we can pick up your final meter reading remotely. (A final meter reading fee applies.)
- More services in the future to help you manage your energy even better.
1 The service depends on mobile phone network coverage, so there's a chance your SmartConnect meter signal could be unavailable if the network is down. If this happens, we may need to provide you with an estimated bill or visit your property to read your meter. Ongoing site visits may be needed for maintenance or auditing purposes.
Who is getting a SmartConnect meter:
By December 2015, we want up to 350,000 customers to be enjoying the benefits of our SmartConnect service. We've already made this possible for over 120,000 customers. We're currently installing SmartConnect meters for customers in Auckland, Waikato, Wellington, Taranaki, Wanganui, Manawatu, Wairarapa, Thames Valley and the Coromandel.
What you need to do:
There's nothing you need to do now. We'll be in contact with you closer to the time to let you know we're coming to upgrade your standard meter to a SmartConnect meter.